Rafael Nadal overcomes hiccup to march into French Open semi-finals

Nadal drops set but rain suspends French Open quarterfinal

The former US Open champion, who nearly retired from the sport two years ago after persistent wrist injuries, had said he would make a "last-minute decision" on his Roland Garros participation after suffering a leg injury at the Rome Masters.

The enormity of the situation clearly dawned on him after beating Marin Cilic in the quarter-finals on Thursday, as he sobbed tears of joy at the side of the court. I continued the level of intensity that I played after the first stop.

The world number one player beat 11th-seed Diego Schwartzman 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 to reach the semifinals at Roland Garros.

"Of course, I didn't expect to be in the top five again, to reach the semifinals at the big tournament after all my injuries", del Potro said. I mean, the crowd are awesome, and that happens very often. So I have nothing to lose tomorrow. Nadal is 3-0 against Del Potro on clay. The last time Del Potro contended a Grand Slam final, he won it at the 2009 US Open. "It's so good for me, for my team, for my family". Nadal hasn't lost in a grand slam semifinal since the 2009 US Open. In Wimbledon, I lost against [Novak] Djokovic. "It's unbelievable for the tennis world".

The Argentine saw off Marin Cilic in four sets in a rain-delayed quarter-final at Roland Garros, to reach a second semi-final from the last three Grand Slams, following a final-four spot in NY last September. I had three surgeries on my left wrist. And I have been trying and trying every day to fix my problem in my wrist. Even though Nadal hasn't been playing his best all tournament he's still getting through; I expect it to be no different against Del Potro.

Paris - Rafael Nadal insisted he still "feels pressure" and is "only human", after battling back from a set down to beat Diego Schwartzman on Thursday and set up a French Open semi-final clash with Juan Martin del Potro.

Two years ago, Del Potro had nearly considered giving up on tennis when he was sidelined after wrist surgeries and had fallen out of the top-1000 in the ATP rankings.

Kerber is a two-time Grand Slam champion. "But in terms of play, what changed is how I played and how I managed the match". "I've still got a long time left, I can keep playing until I'm 41".

- The 32-year-old won record 11th Monte Carlo and Barcelona titles earlier this year and has an 84-2 winning record in Paris.

"It's kind of the same run".

"Sometimes you play better, sometimes you are more nervous". And the lack of experience and knowledge of being on these last rounds, that's always the risk.

Simona Halep is two wins away from earning her first Grand Slam title. "I think all the tougher moments of my life are completely in the past, and I'm enjoying a lot this present". "I'm not that young anymore".

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Golden Knights betting favorites for Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final
Jun 08, 2018 - 16:58
Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis is expecting a massive celebration following the first Stanley Cup win in franchise history. Vegas is 7-3 in its last 10 home games as moneyline favorite of -135 to -200, according to the OddsShark NHL Database .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top NASA Mars Rover announcement: What did NASA find on the Red Planet?
Jun 08, 2018 - 16:28
A 2018 self-portrait of NASA's Curiosity Mars rover on Vera Rubin Ridge, made up of a composite of photo from the rover. Certainly, there are geological processes that could make methane levels change over the Martian year, she said.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top England cruise to win over Costa Rica
Jun 08, 2018 - 15:46
Danny Welbeck headed in the second goal to seal the victory after manager Gareth Southgate rested a host of players including captain Harry Kane .

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Mexico publishes retaliatory tariffs on USA imports
Jun 07, 2018 - 17:44
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the USA tariffs on Canadian aluminum and steel "unacceptable". The US is Mexico's largest trading partner, receiving about 80 per cent of the country's exports.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Melania to skip North Korea summit
Jun 07, 2018 - 17:31
Or someone has designed a robot that looks just like the first lady, at least from a distance. She was released from the hospital with no complications on 19 May.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Roseanne Barr blames Ambien for tweet; drug maker replies
Jun 07, 2018 - 16:47
The network promptly canceled the revival of Barr's sitcom on Tuesday following harsh backlash against her tweet earlier that day. Iger a year ago quit a Trump advisory council because of the president's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top LeBron: Cavs can't get comfortable in Cleveland
Jun 07, 2018 - 13:31
The last sweep in the Finals was San Antonio over Cleveland in 2007 in James' debut trip to the championship round. As a result of four straight Finals matchups, both teams have little left to hide from one another.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Alexander Zverev ends Grand Slam hoodoo against top-50 players
Jun 05, 2018 - 03:35
World number 38 Khachanov accelerated away with the third set, earning a double break after Zverev missed a chance to hit back. The 24-year-old Thiem leads 4-2 overall against Zverev, but lost to him last month in the Madrid Masters final.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Donald Trump unlikely to pardon himself: Giuliani
Jun 05, 2018 - 03:33
Sanders says, "Thankfully the president hasn't done anything wrong and therefore wouldn't need one". Trump did not detail his grounds for claiming that the Mueller investigation is illegal.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Howard Schultz stepping down as Starbucks' executive chairman
Jun 05, 2018 - 02:33
In the meantime, he plans on working on his family foundation, and writing a book about the social responsibility companies have. Mr Schultz, who will become chairman emeritus, also used his position to speak out in social debates.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Victory for US Christian baker at Supreme Court
Jun 05, 2018 - 02:28
Colorado law that protects gay people's rights to buy products "must be applied in a manner that is neutral toward religion". For the baker's supporters , the case was about finding a way to respect conflicting beliefs about marriage.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Top 10 Announcements By Apple on WWDC 2018 - Must Checkout
Jun 05, 2018 - 02:14
New Geekbench results published this weekend suggest that a significant performance bump for the MacBook Pro may be imminent. This feature will help iPhone and the iPad users cut down on screen time and from time to time do a digital detox.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Apple's new software could help you use your phone less often
Jun 05, 2018 - 00:36
If so, Apple will introduce the larger features - which were originally penned for iOS 12 - during 2019. The Zacks Consensus Estimate for long-term earnings growth rate is now pegged at 11.77%.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Evacuation order lifted; N Carolina dam is safe
Jun 03, 2018 - 06:55
Another 26 nests were inundated, which means the eggs were covered with water; it remains to be seen how those nests will fare. Roy Cooper says four dams are being closely watched by a state team of special engineers and so far the dams are holding up.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Makeup and pig's blood: Russian reporter describes his faked assassination in Kiev
Jun 03, 2018 - 06:44
The staging of his murder could undermine confidence in the work of journalists and temper public outrage when they are killed . Once Babchenko reappeared, the Russian Foreign Ministry was quick to label the exercise as " anti-Russian provocation ".